Fall has officially begun along with pumpkin spice….everything! Milder weather means more people can enjoy the outdoors more. Individuals with osteoporosis are no exception. Though outings may require a little more planning, it’s possible to enjoy many fall fun activities when you have osteoporosis. Here are some ways to stay safe this season.
Preventing Falls this Fall
Osteoporosis causes the bones to become brittle and more susceptible to breaking easily. Severe breaks can result in long-term pain and limitations. That’s why it’s vital to take steps towards preventing falls while enjoying outdoor activities:
- Wear low-heeled shoes with rubber soles for more solid traction.
- Use handrails as you go up and down steps and on escalators.
- If sidewalks look slippery, walk in the grass for more solid footing.
- Look carefully at floor surfaces in public buildings. Highly polished and wet floors can quickly become dangerous.
- Use a shoulder bag or other type of purse that leaves your hands free.
- Utilize a walker or cane as needed.
- Stop at curbs and check the height and any incline before stepping up or down.
- Consider using hip protectors or hip pads for added protection should you fall.
Activities to Enjoy this Fall
If you remember how to move your body safely and take the proper precautions, most fall activities are yours for the taking. Here are some ideas that are sure to get you into the spirit and keep you active this fall:
- Go on a nature foliage walk through your neighborhood or at a local park.
- Embrace your crafty side and create something you can display for the season. Paint small pumpkins, a fall landscape, or pick up a seasonal coloring book.
- Get the family together and create a fall garden. You can also use whatever flowerpots or anything you have on hand and simply plant some spring bulbs.
- Host a potluck movie night or football watch party with family. Everyone can help with setup and with making the snacks!
World Osteoporosis Day
October marks the annual commencement of World Osteoporosis Day (WOD), which takes place every year on the 20th. The campaign launches a year-long crusade dedicated to raising global awareness of osteoporosis and metabolic bone disease prevention, diagnosis, and treatment. You can get involved and support the campaign in several ways to take action for bone health:
- Organize an event like a health fair, support session, community walk, etc.
- Join the global patient charter to improve patient care.
- Attend one of the many registered events.
- Share your story and inspire others.
You can also contribute to advancing future osteoporosis treatments as a clinical research volunteer. Participants can learn more about their condition through the dedicated care of study experts. They also gain potential access to the latest cutting-edge therapies before they are publicly available. Want to learn more? Contact Seattle Women’s today at (206) 522-3330 or visit our website.